- 20 REDBOOK subscriptions are up for grabs!
- Two shoppers will take home a $50 Target gift card
- Two fabulous foodies will win a $50 Whole Foods gift card
- One stylish tweeter will win a pair of Ray Ban sunglasses
- Two digital divas will win a fabulous Beauty Basket compliments of L’oreal Paris
We haven’t hosted a tweet up in a while, but starting Tuesday night at 7pm ET, we’ll be joining Emmy award-winning journalist, dating coach and image consultantTamsen Fadal along with Bonding Over Beauty expert and author Erika Katz for an hour-long chat that’ll make you smile. The reason? We’ll be teaming up with Sunstar Gum to give you the inside scoop on how to get fresher breath and a dazzling smile.
And here’s the best part – if you participate during the Twitter party, you’ll be entered to win one of several prizes that’ll get you on the road to better oral health. And who doesn’t want healthy gums? Incidentally, did you know that poor gum care could lead to heart disease?
So here’s how you can participate. On Tuesday, February 7, log onto Twitter and follow @TamsenFadal @BondOverBeauty @RoleMommy and @SunstarGum. Next, visit www.tweetchat.com and enter the hashtag #sunstarsmiles. Then join the conversation! Share your personal beauty tips, answer questions and you can even win prizes!
Plus if you are in need of great products for your gums, we can offer 25% off plus free shipping for any order over $10. Just use the website promode code TAMSEN at checkout and you’ll be good to go.
Hope you can join us and feel free to share with your favorite tweeps!
Join the #SunstarSmiles Twitter Party on 2/7 at 7pm w @TamsenFadal @BondOverBeauty and @RoleMommy. Join us to chat oral care & beauty. RT and enter to #win our #FlossFriday #giveaway!
Comment below with your Twitter handle and let us know if you’ll be joining us!
My Second Date with Jason Segal by Role Mommy West Coast Correspondent Kristin Flannery…
When meeting Jason Segel during a press junket for “Gulliver’s Travels,” I was struck by the fact that he is really, really tall. You see, in “Gulliver’s Travels” he plays a little person. Actually, he’s the biggest little person in Lilliput, an island populated by tiny people. When Gulliver (Jack Black) travels through an “inter-dimensional portal,” he winds up in an alternate world that has juxtaposed modern-day and old-school sensibilities. There, he befriends Horatio (Jason Segel), a commoner with a BIG crush on Princess Mary (Emily Blunt).
Jason says that size has always played an important role in his life, “I was six four since I was 12. The kids didn’t really like me that much. I was very shy. Very, very, very shy. And my parents sent me to the local, community theater to take acting class just to help get me out of my shell.”
Jason says that as he matured, he grew into his height. “I also became a pretty good athlete during high school and I won a couple state championships in basketball.” Luckily, his love of acting never waned. “In junior year of high school, I wanted to try to put on a play again,” he says. As fate would have it, that’s when Jason was discovered by a Hollywood casting director who just happened to be taking a tour of his high school.
Segal says that being a tall person playing a little person was not too much of a challenge in “Gulliver’s Travels” because the producers used a groundbreaking camera known as the DualMoCo (the “MoCo” is for motion control). While Black was in one area of the soundstage, performing against a green screen, the actors portraying the Lilliputians would be on another part of the stage, acting “opposite” Black.
When asked how hard was it to be a little person, since he’s so tall in real life, Jason replied, “See, I viewed it the opposite. We were normal size, and Jack was huge. That’s how I always viewed it because we were to scale of all the buildings around us. We were just acting regular. Jack did most of the green screen.”
And just so you know ladies, Jason Segel is as charming as he is tall! I was lucky enough to meet him twice and look forward to being asked to more of his press junkets in 2011. He is the type of guy who is charming and sincere and you feel like you can tell him anything. Which doesn’t always work in his favor as Jason revealed. “I had a dialect coach and I have to say it was really awkward. The lady was really nice. But, at one point she said, “I think we’ve done enough of the elocution lessons. Why don’t you and I just sit and we’ll have lunch, and we’ll just talk in English accents. And so, we go and we show up for lunch, and we’re talking. And then, the talk starts to get real serious and she starts telling me about her divorce and how she doesn’t get to see her kid as much as she would like. And she’s crying.” I don’t know about you, but I think there’s a talk show in Jason’s future.
You can hear more of the adorable Jason Segel’s interview by clicking here and look for him in “Gulliver’s Travels” coming out Christmas Day – December 25th!
Since we’re all about celebrating incredible moms doing what they love, I’d like to showcase one of my favorite mom vlogging friends, Audrey McClelland, the co-founder of Mom Generations . I met Audrey more than a year ago and the moment we were introduced, we instantly hit it off. Audrey is a mom of four, an Ivy League graduate and a fashion guru – having worked for Donna Karan before her children her born. While she left her career behind to become a full time mom, she decided last year to launch a video blog featuring 365 days of fashion advice. Little did she know that her YouTube videos would catch on like wildfire and catapult her into instant stardom.
Today, Audrey is the Beauty and Style co-editor for Lifetime Moms and most recently, she got the chance to work the red carpet at the People’s Choice Awards along with Project Runway’s Tim Gunn! Take a look at the after show red carpet re-cap featuring Audrey, Greta Monahan and Tim Gunn and see how this incredible mom is living her dream. We are so proud of you Audrey – you are truly a Role Mommy extraordinaire!!!
We just interviewed Dr. Phil’s better half, Robin McGraw, who stopped by our site to talk about her latest book, What’s Age Got to Do with It?: Living Your Healthiest and Happiest Life. Robin is a fabulous storyteller who shares some great anecdotes from her book, which is sure to be a hit not only with the 55 and over crowd, but for those of us looking for ways to stay healthy and fit at any age.
What I love about the book is that it covers every aspect of a woman’s life, from health, diet, fitness, hair, fashion and make-up. Robin’s decision to maintain a healthy lifestyle was caused after mother died of a heart attack at 58. While her mom put everyone else’s needs above her own, Robin realized that if you don’t take care of yourself, the people who eventually lose out are your family if your life is cut short by a disease or health issue that could have been avoided with preventative care.
For those of us battling the bulge, Robin offers a two week nutrition plan that’s sure to help us shed excess weight. Plus, she outlines her entire fitness routine with her personal trainer; and she shares the secret behind her flawless face. She has never had plastic surgery but does monthly medi-facials that stimulate her facial muscles and keep her skin looking fresh and youthful. She also drinks tons of water (which I totally need to do), stays out of the sun and now avoids sugar because she learned it not only makes you fat, but it causes wrinkles!
And she even shares a great hair story about Michael Bolton – but I don’t want to give everything away! Click on the link below as Robin shares her personal stories and advice about how to look great at any age.
Today’s favorites range from fabulous finds to incredibly touching blog posts, to freebies to Late Night TV news to fabulous shopping blogs. So without further ado, here’s are our Tuesday Fave Fives…
1. I’ve been surfing Twitter for most of the night and during that time, I came across the following posts from two courageous mom bloggers who are going through some scary and difficult times with their infants. Visit Meagan Francis and My Charming Kids to read their heart wrenching stories.
2. Check out this post in today’s Momlogic community involving the dangers of leaving children in cars. Another reason to slow down and stop living your life on auto pilot.
3. In case you’re wondering or in case you care, David Letterman finally decided to get married. I guess he was tired of having people call his girlfriend Regina, his Baby Mama.
4. Over at Freebies for Mom are some important essentials. Free toilet paper! Hey, what are you waiting for? This is a freebie that anyone can use…over and over and over again!
5. Loving the Popshopology blog. Reviews are featured each day for trendy, techy and out of the ordinary finds. Gotta love the meat pillows. Yes, meat pillows. Don’t believe me? Then click here to check it out.
It’s been a fabulous weekend…actually spent the night away from home with my hubby and the place we traveled to tops our fave five list. So take a look and if you have some fave fives, you want to send our way, then what are you waiting for?
1. An Overnight Getaway – for couples who are stressed over the demands of family, jobs, the economy, cold weather, and more, I highly recommend getting away – even if it’s just for one night. This past weekend, we joined our friends on a roadtrip to Lambertville, New Jersey – a quaint colonial town that’s chock full of antique shops, great restaurants, bars and is literally a foot bridge away from New Hope, PA. Best of all, it was only 90 minutes from our house. For those of you parents on the east coast in need of a quick getaway, book yourself at the Lambertville House, then head to Marcia Browns for drinks, the Boat House for more drinks and Anton’s for dinner.
2. The Perfect Prescription for Small Business Owners…in the interest of full disclosure, my finance guru hubby just launched a blogging community called The Budget Doctor and trust me, if you are in search of great tips on how to save money or get back money that’s owed to you, you’ll want to join the site right away and start saving!
3. I Beg Your Pardon…I’m Gonna Promise You an Herb Garden…big kudos to First Lady Michelle Obama who is planting an herb garden at the White House and invited 26 school kids from Washington D.C. to help her with planting. As the herbs and vegetables grow, the students will be invited back to tend the garden and then eventually use the veggies and herbs to whip up a meal in the White House kitchen. I’ve just decided…Sasha and Malia Obama have the coolest mom on the planet.
4. The Zone is about to get some competition. After eating like a fiend this weekend and finishing off our bender at McDonald’s, my friend and I decided we were back on the dieting wagon. So this year, as we gear up for summer and bathing suits (OMG), she’s convinced me to give a new meal plan a try – Nutropia. This program enables you to order your meals online, select the number of days each week you’d like to receive it and best of all, since the meals are prepared by chefs, the choices change every week so you’ll never get bored! And my friend says someone in her office did it and the weight seemed to melt away. I know slow and steady wins the race but considering it’s almost April, it’s time to get serious or risk another season of very long bermuda shorts.
5. Latest Peanut News….The Associated Press ran a story this week on the recent peanut scare and Role Mommy was quoted. Though the number of peanut fans is dwindling, we still are partial to fluffernutter sandwiches and PB&J (especially on a Weight Watchers mini bagel)…hmmm…maybe I should have one of those before those Nutropia meals start getting delivered to my door. I know, I am hopeless.
Role Mommy was recently quoted in this article about the recent health scare involving peanuts. As a tried and true fluffer-nutter fanatic, we sure hope that peanut butter makes the serious comeback it so rightly deserves!
Listen in to our exclusive Blog Talk Radio interview with NY Times bestselling author Jodi Picoult. We caught up with her while she was on a multi-city book tour and she filled us in on her latest novel, her family and much more! So tune in and enjoy.
It wasn’t easy, but we’ve finally managed to uncover our latest fave five of the day. So get ready to be informed, enlightened, inspired and entertained!
1. The best e mail forward of the day. Hand sanitizer among kids is highly dangerous if swallowed. Who knew? Snopes did.
2. Thanks to Vanessa at Chef Druck for posting a blog about the beauty of Tweetdeck. Until reading that post, I didn’t know it existed. Vanessa, you just rocked my Twitter world.
3. Traveling Mom’s top Spring break vacations. Still haven’t made plans for Spring Break? Have no fear, TMOM’s bloggers have some great vacation options for your family.
4. Dora the Sexy Explorer. Just as my little girl approaches her tween years, so does Dora the Explorer! Take a look at the latest photo of Senorita Dorita and tell me if you think she’s too sexy for middle school.
5. Hilarious blog alert…Check out Suburban Jungle and laugh until your sides hurt.
The Monday Fave Five