The New York Times has their week in review, but if you don’t have time to comb through it, here’s the next best thing…the five things you should have found out while you were working, carpooling, checking up on old friends on Facebook, you get my drift…
1. 80’s Actor Corey Haim found dead – Over at PopEater, where my friend Rob Shuter is a gossip columnist, you can find out all you need to know and more about how he died and his film and reality TV career.
2. You can use Verifone to process credit card payments on your iphone – for budding entrepreneurs constantly chasing after money, this is a great new option to charge your clients right on the spot and get paid instantly. Found out about this while watching Taxi TV. Cha Ching!
3. Great article on the Rise of Mommy Blogging in the NY Times – I knew I was onto something four years ago when I jumped into the blogosphere and now the NY Times has validated what I felt all along – parents want to hear from authentic voices and the best place to find them is online. And the best part is, blogging is becoming a lucrative career for many moms. Plus, some of my favorite peeps, Momfluential, Resourceful Mommy and Scary Mommy were featured. Nice work!
4. Ruffles are the New Black – If you watched the Oscars on Sunday then you probably learned one thing. Ruffles are so in, it isn’t funny. From J Lo to Demi Moore, every time I blinked, another ruffle dress appeared. Funny twist…guess which box office diva loves Ruffles potato chips?
5. The End of Hannah Montana – Okay – you do need to connect with your tweens too. If you’ve been hiding under a rock or too busy blogging, then you may not know that the last episode of Hannah Montana could be airing tonight. I still don’t know for sure since I never believe anything until I see it, but judging from last week, Miley is convinced that she wants to go back home to Nashville because her talking horse told her she must come home. Ooh, that is deep.
Now that we’re jumping into the New Year, I wanted to share some of my favorite links of the week to some of the most talented bloggers I’ve had the great fortune of meeting these last few years. So without further ado, it’s time to check out these awesome blogs.
Momspective Fitness Friday Post – want to get a dose of inspiration and motivation, then read Julie Maloney’s latest post on her six week EA Sports Active fitness challenge.
Check Out Momspace – offering tips on how to actually keep your New Year’s Resolutions this year. As a special bonus, check out this post by former radio host and Momspace TV host, Joey Fortman – heartfelt and powerful at the same time.
The Spice Up Your Love Life Challenge – Gotta love Mominatrix and her new year challenge to get all of us to add a lot more spice into our lives (and I don’t mean cinnamon).
Cruise on over to From Hip to Housewife – where the fabulous Nancy Friedman blogs about her life, fabulous finds and even shares her latest secret…she sings too! In fact, she used to be a Bar Mitzvah singer. Gotta love that!
Last but not least, visit Mom in the City and find out about how job elimination turned out to be a blessing in disguise. Plus, Kim shares what she has in store for her readers in 2010…can’t wait!
More fabulous fave fives to come!
It’s been a whirlwind week so if you haven’t had time to watch the news or catch some good shows on TV or follow some great blogs, here’s the Role Mommy Re-cap:
1. The Balloon Boy – everyone was transfixed this week when a weird looking balloon made out of what appeared to be Reynolds Wrap, sailed through the air for miles. What made the story more compelling was that news reporters were convinced a six year old boy named Falcon was lost in flight. Turns out he was hiding in the attic. Looks like he’ll be grounded for life for that one.
2. Dr. Phil Stirs the Pot – you know you’re a mom blogger when your own mother calls you and says, “Honey, I was watching Dr. Phil today and they had some woman named Dooce on the show who is some sort of mommy blogger, and you should have totally been on instead.” When I explained that Dooce has a bazillion visitors on her site, my mom still stuck to her guns and said I should have been Dr. Phil’s special guest for his show about working moms vs. stay at home moms. In case anyone is paying attention, my mom thinks I should be on Oprah too. And that’s one of the many reasons why I love my mom.
3. Blogalicious, Blog World Expo, Blogging for Bubbles – Okay – so I was not in attendance at any of the recent blogging events. I did however attend an event sponsored by Wisk where I learned all about bubbles when I met a sommelier who taught our group all about bubbles in champagne and wine. Next, I watched a tarot card reader predict our fortunes by reading our bubbles and then, I removed a grass stain by performing a cool experiment with Wisk’s new HE detergent. And, I got to go home with a huge laundry basket filled with cool essentials for my home and my kids (gotta love a gumball machine). Oh, and if you visit the Wisk HE site right now, you can test your bubble IQ and enter to win a brand spankin’ new washer/dryer and let me tell you – I saw it up close and it’s pretty amazing.
4. Whrrl, Whrrl, Whrrl – Wherever I go I get a direct message from another blogging friend who has either discovered Whrrl, is using Whrrl during a visit to an event, or is still trying to figure out how to send a picture on Whrrl. My personal fave Whrrl of the week – the lucky bloggers who got to attend the Tony Hawk retreat. Since I’m not much of a skateboarding afficionado, I’ll take that missing invite as a sign that the Tony Hawk team knew that skateboards just scare me. Now if I don’t get an invite to the Oksana Baiul retreat, well then, I will be fighting mad.
5. Maria Shriver just announced that 1/3 of women are now primary breadwinners in their family. I can totally believe that one. Since we are the masters of multi-tasking, most moms I know have a day job, a passion project, a side job and they also can make a few bucks just finding loose change in the dryer.
It’s been a crazy week over here at Role Mommy (when isn’t it a crazy week), but while we were racing around town, we’ve compiled a Fave Five that’s entertaining, informative and hilarious.
1. Eating Candy Could Turn Your Kid Into A Criminal. This is by far my favorite story of the week. Some researchers were testing kids since 1969 and found that the ones who ate too much candy became hardened criminals moreso than the children who ate a balanced diet. Thank goodness my parents shipped me off to Weight Watchers at 12 – there’s no telling where I would be today if they hadn’t put an end to the candy insanity.
2. Want to Find High-End Children’s Clothing, Baby items and more for a fraction of the cost? Then register today for Totsy.com, an exclusive private “flash sale” site that officially launches on October 7. Two of my favorite mom bloggers, Audrey from Mom Generations and Nicole at Momtrends are the faces of the site and they’ll be sharing their top picks on the latest trends and products that are turning heads in the children’s fashion and accessories industry. Incidentally, did you know that Nicole used to work at Ralph Lauren and Audrey used to work at Donna Karan? Love that!
3. One of Our Favorite Role Mommies Makes the NY Daily News...I love it when I can flip through my local paper and then Bam! I get to read a profile of one of our contributors to our new humor anthology See Mom Run – Issa at YourSingleParenting and New York City Mamasan. The paper even featured a gorgeous photo of Issa and her son, that was taken at one of our Role Mommy events with celebrity photographer extraordinaire, Jade Albert (photo was in the print version, not online). Go Issa!
4. Fall TV is Back!!! I can’t tell you how beyond thrilled I am that my favorite shows are back on TV. I don’t know about you, but I was on the edge of my seat this week watching Private Practice. Any time a crazy looney tune performs a c-section on Amy Brenneman, steals the baby and both survive, I’ve got to say it doesn’t get any better than that!
5. The Secret Behind Giveaways! On our latest Role Mommy on the Run and Traveling Mom Show, we gave the secret behind getting lots of comments on your site for giveaways. Listen in and unlock the key to building traffic on your site!
This week, we’ve assembled a Fave Five comprised of all kinds of things that’ll make the life of a busy mom incredibly easier.
1. First fave of the week is Fresh Direct. Now I have to say, I held out on making the switch from Peapod to Fresh Direct, but after this morning’s super early delivery, I am officially a Fresh Direct gal. From the beautiful produce – like gleaming cherries, bananas packed in foam and perfectly protected fuji apples, to prepared meals from top chefs and even meals that are 500 calories and under. I think I’m officially finished with supermarket shopping and will let my fingers do the ordering with Fresh Direct.
2. E.L.F. (Eyes Lips Face) Cosmetics – I’m about to get the chance to be featured in a video and am finishing up a blog post for this really cool cosmetics line that offers products similar to some of my favorite brand names (hello Nars) but at a fraction of the price. And best of all, they just made Oprah Magazine as one of their 45 favorite affordable pleasures. Katja at Skimbaco Lifestyle gives us the scoop on this fabulous find.
3. I’m in the middle of reading two books at the moment – Are You There Vodka, It’s Me Chelsea and Rattled, a memoir by Christine Coppa, the blogger behind the hilarious Storked blog at Glamour. I actually met Christine recently at a dinner hosted by Cookie Magazine and we instantly hit it off. And I have to say, I am loving her book about how this magazine editor on the rise had her life thrown into a tailspin when she learned she was pregnant. I have Rattled tucked in my bag so that I can steal a few minutes each day and night and I am loving every minute of it. And as for Are You There Vodka, Chelsea Handler is by far one of the funniest humor writers on the planet. If you’re in the mood to laugh, then you won’t be disappointed.
4. Role Mommy Community Alert! Check out this video from one of our newest members Au Pair Mom who shares the inside scoop on how you can find the perfect Au Pair for your family.
Find more videos like this on Role Mommy
5. Another great find from the Role Mommy Community comes from new member Colleen Althouse. Colleen is a Stay at Home Mom with 5 kids 15,13,6,2. who started her own website called Funfloppers.com where she makes customized hand made flip flops. Check it out today!
This Fave Five comes from our favorite California Mom Kristin, who also is our guest co-host for Role Mommy and friends primetime show on Blog Talk Radio. Just in time for Mother’s Day, check out Kristin’s picks for May!
1. The Love/Avon Army of Women are looking for a few good women…. It began last October during breast cancer awareness month but it continues forever, Dr. Susan Love is working to sign up a million women to help in the fight against breast cancer. It is free and yet she only has 276,984 women signed up. So check it out and join, you will be helping another woman and you never know… maybe even your daughter’s generation some day.
2. I love Facebook because it helps me keep in contact with all my friends but I REALLY love it when my friends (like Sara) post links to incredible videos that I might not otherwise see. This one is a video from Taylor Swift, she is an incredible young lady who really “gets it”. So grab your tissues first then click here…
3. I am a Spirited Woman! Not only do I shout that out randomly around my house but I am also the featured entertainment writer for the Spirited Woman blog. This week we are holding a “Comment Contest” (and you know you can’t hold your tongue any longer). From May 1 thru May 7, you can comment on as many posts as you want and as many times as you want. Then we will judge your comments and if you win you will be featured on the Spirited Woman blog.
4. I am new to this whole Mom blogger world but thanks to Beth I am hooked!!! I can not wait for Thursday, May 7th and the first National Mom’s Nite Out, we deserve a night out! I worked with HP and Momlogic on their Mother Of All Bloggers promotion and you should go on and vote. I wish I could win the HP Mini 1000 (the perfect companion for mom) because it is slender (less than 1″ thick), starts at only 2.25 pounds so you can slip it in your bag AND it has a built in HP mini webcam. Click here and vote. Plus, since I live in the L.A. area, I was lucky enough to be invited to the local celebration hosted by thegotomom.tv and truemomconfessions.com at the Mint. For more information, click here. BTW, Kristin – I contributed a chapter to the new True Mom Confessions book…page 150 🙂
5. And the last thing that I love is that it is MAY DAY! I used to think my mom was a little nutty because she celebrated every holiday (yes, even Groundhog’s Day) but now I AM her. In the Roman Catholic tradition, May is Mary’s month, and in these circles May Day is usually a celebration of the Blessed Virgin Mary. Fading in popularity since the late 20th century is the giving of “May baskets,” small baskets of sweets and/or flowers, usually left anonymously on neighbor’s doorsteps so today my daughters and I are bringing back the tradition by making flower shaped cookies and delivering to the neighbors in baskets. Happy May Day!
Since Role Mommy is always on the lookout for great finds for moms, we figured we’d devote tonight’s picks to some of our kids’ must-haves of the moment…
1. Think Draw – If you have a budding artist in your midst, then pay a visit to this site where kids and adults can create portraits, floral arrangements and abstract designs online. Plus, friends (both real and virtual) can comment on their work – a function that totally has my kids hooked. Just wait until I let them join Facebook…not!
2. The Nintendo DSi – We had a special delivery this week from the incredibly generous team at Nintendo. This time, it came in a red box with a mirror and when we opened it to thunderous applause, our kids came racing into the kitchen to take a look. And frankly, I haven’t seen what was inside that box ever since. My two children hijacked the brand new Nintendo DSi which offers some great features like a camera that enables you to alter your pictures, a voice recorder, a parrot that mimics your voice and much more. Plus, it still plays all your favorite games and enables you to download games from the Nintendo website too.
3. Club Penguin – My kids have slowly migrated from Webkinz over to Club Penguin and while I still refuse to pay the monthly membership, my savvy charges have discovered how to check out some fancy igloos without me footing the bill. All you need to do is “Friend” a Penguin whose parents pay their dues and you can hang out at their house. Kind of like real life, without penguins.
4. Kooky Pens – I don’t quite understand the hype, but whenever we buy a friend a birthday gift these days, the required accoutrement is a silly looking pen with spiky rubber hair…aka, a kooky pen. Even more annoying, you can buy these pens as life sized pillows too. I have no idea why kids love their kooky pens so, but they do and since it’s less than $5, I figure it’s not such a bad deal – at it least comes in handy when it’s time to do homework.
5. Favorite DVD of the week – Meet Dave. Must see movie of the week…17 Again. Still on the fence…Hannah Montana.
It’s Wednesday so that means one thing…it’s entertainment day! So without further ado, here are some of our fave five topics.
1. Michelle Obama is not Pregnant. Okay, tell us something we don’t know. For some bizarre reason there were rumors swirling that the First Lady was sporting a baby bump. But alas, thanks to O Magazine, we’ve gotten to the truth – she is not pregnant nor does she have any plans to get pregnant any time soon.
2. Madonna is trying to adopt…again. This time, the ageless pop diva is trying to adopt a little girl from Malawi but she’s running into some red tape since officials are saying she’s getting preferential treatment to fast track the process since she’s an A-List celebrity. Personally, I wonder what Lourdes and Rocco think about all their new siblings anyway? Inquiring moms want to know.
3. American Idol Update – Okay – why don’t they just hand Adam Lambert the entire competition. No contestant this year is in his league. He is unbelievable and they should just record his performances each week and release his CD once he’s done. And tune in on April Fool’s Day when David Cook returns to Idol and performs.
4. ER Series Finale – Though this season hasn’t been that terrific, I have to say that I will be tuning into the finale this Thursday night of one of my favorite medical dramas on network television. Plus, I’d love to see if Dr. Greg Ross makes a surprise appearance – or I’ll just be a big old sap and watch the clips from their most memorable shows.
5. Calista Flockhart Gets Engaged! While she already has a son with feature film star Harrison Ford, the couple finally plan to get hitched. Now hopefully, her character on Brothers & Sisters will stay married to Robert. Then we can all live happily ever after.
This week’s fave five runs the gamut from TV shows, to some of my favorite hair and beauty products that I’ve been given the chance to sample and enjoy, to ways to save money on credit cards and more. So without further ado, here are our Fave Fives of the Week:
1. Adam Lambert is going to win American Idol. There, I’ve made my prediction – the guy is in a league all his own and according to Paula Abdul and Role Mommy, he’s going to take it all the way to the finals.
2. Thanks to my friends at Suave, I’ve been participating in a serious test these last few weeks. It’s called Suavonomics and what I’ve done is compare high end hair products to Suave’s more affordable shampoos, conditioners, hair gels and much more. And guess what I found out – the Suave products give the high end brands a run for their money. In addition to the shampoos and conditioners (there are different varieties), my personal favorite products are Suave’s hair gel and finishing spray. I’ve been getting lots of compliments on my look great for less hair and thanks to Suave, I’ve been keeping it “red carpet ready” without breaking the bank. That’s me with my Glamour BFF, Dawn Meehan, fabulous author of the hilarious new book Because I Said So.
3. And speaking of banks, for those of you looking for credit card deals that’ll actually put money back in your own pocket, then do we have news for you. Bank of America has just launched the Add It Up™ program, a secure online shopping Web site that allows enrolled customers to earn up to 20 percent cash back on their purchases at more than 270 online retailers, including top names such as Walmart.com, BestBuy.com and Barnes & Noble.com. Customers with a current Bank of America credit or check card who are enrolled in online banking can register for free through the Add It Up site at http://www.bankofamerica.com/additup.
4. Just discovered a brand new site called Daughters.com and judging from what I’ve perused so far, it’s going to be a fabulous destination for moms and girls. www.daughters.com is an interactive community where visitors can find all the answers to questions about raising girls 8-15. The site includes a fully-searchable collection of more than 250 expert articles, interactive community features “Ask the Expert” and “Parent to Parent,” where people go for advice from experts and support one another, and blogs from Parenting Girls Experts Nancy Gruver and Joe Kelly. Considering we’re about to hit the pre-pubescent age, Daughters.com couldn’t have come at a better time!
5. Katie Lee Joel (yes, Billy Joel’s wife) just followed me on Twitter. If you don’t know about Katie Lee, she’s the author of “The Comfort Table” with a foreward written by Paula Deen. Plus, she’s featured in the April issue of Cosmopolitan. And she’s gorgeous and nice – and the fact that she gets to have Billy Joel play piano and sing to her whenever she wants is pretty much a bonus in my book. So thanks for the follow Katie Lee…right back at ya.
Wait…before you go…if you’re in the mood to shop (that would be me, 24/7), then here’s a deal for you from Macy’s!
This Weekend Sale. Save 20-50% + great everyday values at macys.com! Valid 11-Mar-2009 through 15-Mar-2009.
Just in time for the new year, we’re launching a new weekly offering on our site…the Role Mommy Fave Five. This post will include shout outs and link backs to some of our favorite sites on the web that offer everything from steals and deals, product reviews, recommendations and much more. So without further ado…here’s our first selection of Fave Five winners!
Traveling Mom – Check out this link to find out about incredibly B&B’s that share one thing in common…the White House. While you may not be able to rent a room at the real White House, this post offers some fabulous sites where you can!
Skimbaco Lifestyle – this insightful blog by PR and marketing guru Katja Presnal offers a treasure trove of resourceful information for busy moms. Today’s link has their favorite popcorn picks – and considering we just posted the calorie count in movie popcorn, I’d love to give their version a whirl!
Classy Mommy – Colleen over at Classy Mommy always has the best product reviews and recommendations for families and today she’s even got some great deals for her readers, so stop on by and start saving!
Princess Loves Pink – If your daughter is a princess fanatic, then this is the ultimate site for you to check out. From costumes to jewelry, clothes, furniture and more – consider this site your one-stop shop for all things princess!
Baby Name Wizard – For expectant moms, this is the ultimate destination. Check out the most popular baby names of 2008 or search for unique names that might make it to the top of your own list. Either way, if you’re struggling to find the perfect baby name, this should make things a little bit easier!
If you’d like to be considered for our Fave Five, then email us at email@example.com