I wrote a list like this several years back in my early 40s when I was contemplating the meaning of life and the challenges that lay ahead. Little did I know that things wouldn’t get easier, but significantly more difficult. From finances, to health, to unexpected situations that have tested my resolve as a woman and a parent, I’m now entering the last year of this decade so I figured I’d give it a shot again and attempt to stay true to my list!
49. Stop complaining about the opportunities that didn’t come your way or second guessing decisions you made in your past.
48. Make a list every day of things you want to accomplish that’s just for you!
47. Tell your family members you love them – every single day.
46. Reconnect with friends you know care as much about you as you do about them.
45. No longer chase after friends who always seem to be too busy to make time for you.
44. Start doing the things you used to love when you were 12 years old.
43. Travel more to places you keep saying you want to visit.
42. Step out of your comfort zone every single week.
41. Say “No” more.
40. Don’t let toxic people rent space in your head.
39. Volunteer for causes that feed your spirit and your mind.
38. Read more.
37. Write more.
36. Sing more.
35. Play more.
34. Drive to the airport and book a trip to somewhere you’ve never been before.
33. Get in your car, pick a destination and stay overnight in that city.
32. See more Broadway shows.
31. Finally go see Hall & Oates in concert. (Okay, pretty lame but I say it every year and never do it).
30. Pitch your writing to a major women’s magazine and don’t stop until you get published.
29. Go out dancing or do karaoke with your girlfriends.
28. Keep yourself open to opportunities. You never know where your journey may lead if you open a new door.
27. Enroll in a creative writing course.
26. Connect with amazing women whom you admire and respect.
25. Reconnect with your mentors or find new mentors who can help guide you into the next decade.
24. Detach from social media at least 1X per week.
23. Exercise more – without being on your phone while you’re doing it.
22. Close the door on projects that are no longer working for you.
21. Write a new chapter of your life every single day.
20. Write a keynote speech and figure out where you’re going to deliver it.
19. Align with like minded individuals who can help you grow and thrive.
18. Sleep more.
17. Walk your dog at least 2-3 times per day for at 20-30 minutes.
16. Take an art class that has wine.
15. Share your stories with the world.
14. Spend time with your parents and appreciate the time you have with them.
13. Support your kids but instill in them the confidence that they can become anything they want to be as long as they put the time and the work into it.
12. Don’t be discouraged by rejection.
11. Be grateful for the things you have.
10. Do not be envious that other people may seem to have more than you. If you’re happy, you have everything.
9. Tell the people who make you happy that they are so special to you. Nice people need to know they are truly appreciated.
8. Find your way back to you.
7. Build your next decade tribe by surrounding yourself with women and men who lift you up.
6. Don’t be afraid to apologize if you’ve screwed up.
5. Hug it out with the ones in your life who bring you pure joy.
4. No matter how busy you are, always make time for your family
3. Compliment perfect strangers and see how it changes their day.
2. Stop worrying about how you are going to make a living and just start living.
- JUST DO IT!!!!!!!