I don’t know about you, but I hate water. How on earth can I hate something that has no taste, but that’s just the point. I have to admit, I’m a sweetener addict and frankly, that’s not good. All my years of diet soda, diet Snapple, splenda, nutrasweet and sweet n low has caught up with me. My body is in a constant state of bloat and frankly, it feels gross.
So a few days ago, when I hopped on the scale and completely freaked out that I had gained more weight, I decided to finally stop the bleeding. And that starts with water. The problem is, since I can’t stand tasteless H2O, what can I do to jazz up nature’s healthiest beverage? Well here are 5 ways to do it and I’ll be adapting these methods for the next month and beyond…
- Start your morning with lemon water: That’s a tip I’ve read from a ton of magazines and websites. I don’t know why, but lemon water that’s warm is good for your digestive system and starting your day with it is the best thing you can do for your body. So before you pour your morning coffee, down a glass of lemon water and treat your body right the moment you start your day.
- Flavor your water with real fruit: I have an office at WeWork and what I love but don’t take advantage of enough is the fact that they have this great container of water that’s flavored with citrus fruits. While the taste isn’t that sweet, it still adds just a little kick to the water that makes it more palatable. If you’re doing this at home, then add some summer fruits like watermelon and berries – that actually does taste a bit sweeter and is great for you too.
- If you’re lazy, buy Hint water: Hint has become my latest obsession – I love the fact the water does taste like fruit and I’ve found that it’s been easier for me to drink a few bottles in one day – getting me closer to meeting my water goals!
- Try a glass of iced green tea: Green tea is great for your metabolism and these days, you can easily buy it at Starbucks and Dunkin Donuts! If you need to sweeten your tea, Starbucks now sells Stevia or you can always add a little bit of honey. Dunkin Donuts does not sell Stevia but you can always stick a few packets in your bag and sweeten it yourself. Or try to drink it without sweetener which is tough but if it’s cold enough, you can do it!
- Buy a Swell bottle, fill it with water and drink: The great thing about those really cool Swell bottles is that they keep beverages cold for 24 hours and sometimes that’s all you need to drink water faster. Make sure you fill up a Swell bottle and make a promise to yourself to finish the whole thing. That’ll get you at least 2-3 glasses of water per day. Sure you have to drink more, but sometimes if you set a goal each day, it’ll become an integral part of your daily diet routine.