I love breakfast for dinner night, especially when it is Mexican. Enjoy this healthy recipe that can make use of leftovers from taco night!
Mexican Breakfast for Dinner Night
2 cans of black beans
3 TBS honey (I also like using Henry’s Humdinger brand: http://henryssweetmiraclehoney.com/, which already has some spice in it)
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
Combine and let simmer on the stove until thick. Add salt and pepper to taste
1 cup cornmeal, any kind
1 cup unbleached flour
1/3 cup sugar
2 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup whole milk (or almond milk)
6 TBS sweet butter (OR coconut oil)
1 egg, slightly beaten (optional if making vegan)
1 cup fresh or frozen and thawed corn
1/3 cup maple syrup
Combine all ingredients and bake in 8″ X 8″ pan for about 25 minutes or until knife comes out clean
Place a 2″ X 2″ piece of cornbread on every plate, top with beans and 2 eggs , prepared any style. Garnish with fresh cilantro and serve with a dollop of Greek Yogurt or sour cream and hot sauce if you like.
For more great recipes, visit Alma at Take Back the Kitchen.
Listen in to our first episode of Project You Radio with my co-host, Kristin Flannery. Get ready to tackle your New Year’s Resolutions, find out the latest entertainment news, divorce among celebrities and much more!
Written by Role Mommy Contributor, Danielle Feigenbaum
If I had to guess, I would say 99% of women out there vow to become healthier, lose weight and get in better shape every single January. For me, I feel really strongly about 2012 being the year I will feel comfortable in a bathing suit. I’m not expecting to wear a bikini this summer, I just want to feel good about myself! Now, I know this may be TMI (too much information), but part of feeling good and healthy is being regular. Regularity is not really my thing.
When I was asked to try a product from Canfo Natural called, FlushMe®, I figured after all the holiday eating and wanting to start fresh for the new year, I could use a good flushing. Canfo FlushMe® is a 2-day quick, efficient cleanse formula that will leave you feeling lighter and more energetic. It did the trick for me… I did not have to run to the bathroom, however; I did feel “cleansed”. You can also take the FlushMe® on a more regular basis, once a day, to get your system going.
Canfo wants you to make 2012 the best ever by using Non-GMO (genetically modified organisms) Project Verified, fast-acting, effective supplements for healthier skin, hair and nails (BeautifyMe®), natural mood enhancement (NoWorries®), lung support (LungCare®), feeling lighter (FlushMe®) and overall kidney support (NoStone®).
All Canfo products are 100-percent natural supplements that enhance your state of well-being by carefully blending state-of-the-art science and an eco-friendly manufacturing process, with proven centuries-old formulas. Safe, fast-acting, effective, and time-tested, all Canfo products are comprised of the finest quality, pesticide-free, wild-crafted, hand-picked herbs and are vegan and gluten-free. I may have to try BeautifyMe® next just to see what happens!
More information on Canfo products is available at canfo.com. For news updates, information, and special offers, follow Canfo Natural Products on Twitter @CanfoNaturalP and Like the company on Facebook at www.facebook.com/canfonaturalproducts.
Good luck to all you dieters! Here’s to our healthiest year yet!
Disclosure: I was sent this product for review, free of charge.
Happy New Year everyone! If you are trying to get on a healthier track for 2012, I do believe that this easy and fun dessert will do just the trick for you. I got it from Elana’s Pantry and it is fantastic! Enjoy! Peppermint Patties
½ cup coconut oil
¼ cup agave nectar
½ teaspoon peppermint oil (I used organic)
½ to 1 cup dark chocolate chips, melted
In a small bowl, combine coconut oil, agave and peppermint oil, mixing with a spoon
Smash clumps of coconut oil against side of bowl until mixture is smooth
Freeze mixture for a few minutes until it starts to harden, then remove from freezer
Use a 1.5 teaspoon ice cream scoop to measure out little balls onto a parchment paperlined plate
Place plate in freezer to firm up mint balls; when firm, remove from freezer
Squish balls down into flat little patties on parchment paper
Dip patties into melted chocolate (use spoon to drop patty into melted chocolate, dip and remove)
Place patties on parchment paper to harden (takes 10 minutes though on a summer day you may need to refreeze)
Makes about 12 patties
For more great recipes, visit Alma at Take Back the Kitchen.
It’s 2012 and that can only mean one thing. I have to lose weight…again. But this time, I made sure to order a meal plan from the Biggest Loser on December 24 so that I’d have it in time for the New Year. But as luck would have it, it never showed up on my doorstep. So what do I do now? Starve? Cook for myself? Exercise?
I’m doing the Biggest Loser Meal Plan from Ediets and so far, it seems to be working. Take a look at my progress!!!
Week 2 – Flavored Water and Fitness
Week 3 – The Workout Rut
So how are you planning to shed some LB’s in the New Year? Jenny? Weight Watchers? The Dukan Diet? A cleanse? All I know is that I’ve got to lose 10 pounds before Valentine’s Day or else my hubby wins a weight loss bet against me. And trust me, I am not going to let that one happen!
Happy New Year Role Mommies! Now that’s it’s 2012 I hereby declare this a year of getting things done. And that means, no matter how busy I am, I will not neglect this blog or you dear readers. So in order to stay true to you and me, I vow to post at least once a day on our site. Your daily dose of Role Mommy will come in many forms – essays, photos, videos and podcasts.
So what’s on tap for today? Simple. Here’s my 2012 bucket list filled with my plans, hopes and dreams for the year ahead. I’ll be blogging about each of my bucket list items throughout the year so let’s see if I reach my goals and if you have some bucket list ideas of your own, feel free to share!
1. LOSE 15 POUNDS – I can’t say this enough times but this is the year that I slim down and fit into the rest of my wardrobe.
2. GET BACK TO SINGING – I don’t know about you, but I am happiest when I’m performing. So in 2012, I plan to do more of it – even if it’s challenging my kids on XBox to “Glee” and “Michael Jackson: The Experience.” Seriously, though – here’s to a more musical year for me.
3. TAKE DANCE LESSONS OR DO MY DANCE CLASSES AT MY GYM – I’ve been watching all those stars trim down on “Dancing with the Stars” and I am ready to do the same!
4. READ 12 GREAT BOOKS – One book a month – it’s not that tough but it’s going to be done and guess what Role Mommies…you are invited to join me! We’ll be announcing our first book this week so get ready to read, discuss and be inspired.
5. GET PUBLISHED IN A TRADITIONAL WOMEN’S MAGAZINE – I say this every year, but this time, I really mean it. While I hate rejection, it’s time to throw caution to the wind and finally land a story! Hey, you never know…one day it could turn into a column – dare to dream!
6. TRAVEL, TRAVEL, TRAVEL – My kids are at an age where they can truly appreciate the world around them. Here’s to some great vacations in the year ahead that we can enjoy as a family and remember for life.
7. CELEBRATE, CELEBRATE, CELEBRATE – We’ve got my daughter’s Bat Mitzvah, my parents’ 50th wedding anniversary in 2012 so I’ll be busy planning all the festivities. January is the month for invitations and flowers so I’ll be back soon with a post about fabulous invites for tweens.
8. TAKE CARE OF MY HEALTH – I’ve already made all my doctor and dentist appointments for the year. I have to put my health first in order to make sure I am always there for my family.
9. SEE MY GIRLFRIENDS MORE – I am so ready for a few girls’ night outs with my good friends. Sometimes, you have to take a break from your busy life in order to re-connect with the people who have been there for you in good times and bad.
10. SUPPORT OTHERS DREAMS WHILE ACHIEVING MY OWN – That’s a tall order but I always manage to take my eyes off the prize but this time around, I’m going to be laser focused on making sure I do my best to help others while moving forward in my own life.
So there you have it. Do you have a bucket list for 2012? Let us know some of your hopes and dreams – you never know…we may be able to help you achieve them!