After careful consideration and product testing by my kids, we’ve come up with our Fave Five tech toys for the Nintendo DS and Wii that’ll keep your kids entertained, engaged and on the edge of their seats this holiday season.
1. Scribblenauts – I was first introduced to this DS game this past September and when I told my kids about it, they were hooked. Actually, they were completely enthralled when the Scribblenauts commercials started airing on TV. And so, this weekend, we zipped into Manhattan, hit the Nintendo World store and lucky for us, Scribblenauts was there. So what makes it so special? Simple. Your child types a word on the screen and it magically appears. In fact, if your kid typed “monkey” “banana” and “unicycle” you will suddenly see a chimp eating a banana while riding a unicycle. Brilliant! Plus, there are tons of games too. Bottom line – any game that fosters a child’s imagination gets a major thumbs up from me.
2. Style Savvy – perfect for tween girls. Get the chance to be a fashion designer and open your own boutique with over 10,000 outfits to choose from! Only annoying thing about the game is that it plays the same song over and over again – as long as you tell your child to lower the sound, it’s one of those DS games you’ll find your daughter playing over and over again.
3. Disney Sing It! Pop Hits edition. I admit it – I am a sucker for anything that has karaoke in it and so, when I received Disney Sing It to review, I was hooked. Well, let me re-phrase that one – my kids were hooked and well me, I’m a bit frustrated since I don’t know the songs that well and my scores are pretty bad compared to my daughter. Now if Disney can come up with a Sing It! 80’s edition, I’d be all over that one.
4. The New Wii Fit Plus – There’s a new and improved Wii Fit Plus which comes with a balance board – which enables you to mix and match yoga and strength training along with tons of exercises that’ll help you lose weight and stay in shape. You can buy Wii Fit Plus with the Balance Board for $89.99. Or, if you already own Wii Fit and the Balance Board, you can buy the upgraded software, Wii Fit PLUS for $20…Oh – and did I mention – the Wii has finally come down in price! It’s now $199 so make an investment you and your family will love.
5. LEGO ROCK BAND Wii – Now this one is on my total must-have list. Want to know how to make a 7 year old happy? Then combine his love of Legos with music. Better yet, add songs that you’ll love too and you get LEGO Rock Band! According to Game Zone, you can “rock along to current hits and classic favorites that the whole family will enjoy including Jackson 5’s “I Want You Back”, Foo Fighters’ “Breakout”, Vampire Weekend’s “A-Punk”, Blur’s “Song 2”, Carl Douglas’ “Kung Fu Fighting”, Europe’s “The Final Countdown”, Good Charlotte’s “Boys and Girls” and Pink’s “So What”, just to name a few!” Since my son has been obsessed with any song by Michael Jackson (check out the video below), he is so going to love this game!
Bonus Wii Pick…Super Mario Bros™ – The newest installment of the most popular video game franchise offers the chance for multiple players to participate at the same time! Plus, new items include the propeller suit, which will shoot players high into the sky with just a shake of the Wii Remote, and Mario’s new ability to transform into Penguin Mario. Incidentally, if you know anything about my family, we are huge penguin fans, so Super Mario Bros. gets props all around for the bonus bird feature.
And…if you’re looking for more fun things to do with your kids this holiday season and plan to visit the east coast, check out our recent adventure aboard Metronorth including our trek to the Nintendo World Store, M&M World and a fabulous entertainment find along Fifth Avenue!!!