Since it’s officially spring break, I figured I’d give some shout outs to five things we’re doing with our family since we’ve decided to stay home due to this ridiculously depressing recession.
1. Take your brood to see Monsters vs. Aliens in a movie theater that is frequented by no one. Strange but true, we took our kids to see this flick yesterday and while I admit maybe no one was at the movies because it was a beautiful day, this marked the first time in our lives that we were the only four people in the theater. I guess spending $31 on tickets and $9 on two sodas is starting to grate on people’s nerves.
2. Get ready to make matzoh balls, matzoh brei, matzoh kugel, and matzoh cake. In less than 48 hours it will be all matzoh, all the time. At least for the Feldmans. Stay tuned for some fabulous recipes in tomorrow’s blog – including a matzoh brei with splenda that’s to die for. (shrug shoulders after you read that sentence).
3. Search online for places you’d like to visit if you suddenly won the lottery. Just got an email today from JetBlue offering amazing rates to St. Maarten. Clicked on the link and thought, “wow, they are not kidding.” Then realized I just paid our taxes, my daughter’s sleepaway camp bill, the orthodontist and still have to pay the property taxes and instantly came to my senses.
4. Watch Jurassic Park instead of Space Chimps (good choice) because the damn cable company blocked us from ordering a pay per view flick because we couldn’t remember our secret pin. Considering I never even created a secret pin, I think Optimum Online has officially lost our pay per view business for life. Hello Verizon Vios, I think it’s time to make a switch.
5. Promise myself that when I hit New York Sports Club tomorrow morning that I will truly work up a sweat. No more watching the morning news and reading my latest book of the moment while pedaling on the recumbent bike at a snail’s pace. With six weeks left until shorts season, I’m ready to kick it into high gear or else risk another season of cankles and knee fat.
Our latest Blog Talk Radio show was great fun with Roscoe Orman, better known to little ones as Gordon from Sesame Street and chief storyteller for AudibleKids.com who, along with AudibleKids CEO Brian Fitzgerald shared all the great stories and deals the site has for families this spring and summer. Check out the site today and find your kids’ favorite stories at your fingertips! Also appearing on today’s show was our favorite Traveling Mom Kim Orlando and Katja Presnal, with Skimbaco Lifestyle who recently returned from a Thelma and Louise journey from Detroit, compliments of the Ford Hybrid.
We’re gearing up for a weekend sleepover for 13 girls at my house so before I lose my sanity, I’m going to share my last fave five before my crazy weekend…
1. Farewell ER – Tuned into the final episode of ER and I have to say it was great. Too bad there won’t be a spin-off with Dr. Greene’s daughter. If you’d like to take a misty trip down memory lane, then just visit NBC’s incredible tribute to the Emmy winning show.
2. The 8:48 Debut – Kicked off our very first Blog Talk Radio show with my commuter girlfriends and it’s called “The 8:48” – which is the time of the train we catch each morning on our way into the Big Apple. Just give us 33 minutes and we’ll give you our world. Below is a link to our first show – it was a laugh riot so if you’re commuting by your lonesome, then download it to your iPod!
3. Coolest Celebrity Stunt of the Month – Phil Keoghan, the host of The Amazing Race is riding cross country on a bicycle! Follow him on Twitter @philkeoghan and Facebook and get a sneak peak into his truly amazing journey!
4. Celebrity sighting…Julie at Cool Mom Guide had the coolest run-in of the week. She was 10 feet away from Julia Roberts! I guess that’s almost as incredible as touching the Queen.
5. While I’ve already admitted that my favorite talk show hosts are Regis & Kelly, I’ve decided that these two women from SNL run a close second.
Role Mommy is proud to announce that Frito Lay has selected yours truly as one of their Fabulous 15 – an elite group of bloggers who now have the inside scoop on their brand new line of snacks geared toward women who are just like me. That would be women who are constantly obsessing about their weight, their sweet and salt cravings, their cankles, their triumphs over losing a few pounds and then celebrating with wine and chocolate, you get my drift.
Well, thanks to their new website, Only in A Woman’s World, Frito Lay will introduce us to a few women who trust me you will definitely relate to. And even more important, when you’re craving that 4pm must have snack – whether it’s sweet or salty, they’ve got just the answer with healthy snacks that taste good too. Since I’ve got a sweet tooth, I’m loving their Smart Food option – I mean who doesn’t love caramel corn?
So let’s get to the heart of the matter, what do you crave more? Sweets or salt…or both? Inquiring moms want to know.
Today’s edition will center on our favorite subject…weight loss and fitness. So without further ado, here’s our picks of the week on the diet front.
1. The Latest Diet Sensation – Who would have thought that I picked the one diet that Mario Lopez’ friend is trying out too. It’s called Nutropia and so far, I’m on day three. While I have only lost about 1 pound, I do like the meals and snacks so far and have managed to convince my girlfriends to try it too. So we’re all comparing notes on their best dishes. and I’ve found the breakfasts and desserts to be my favorite…so what else is new?
2. Ballet Anyone? Just watched a video today on Taxi TV about how Crunch gym is offering ballet and yoga classes for gym enthusiasts looking to get leaner and toner limbs. Who needs an elliptical machine when all you need to do is remember the moves for first, second and third position?
3. Splenda with Fiber – We attended a really cool event compliments of Splenda – we’ll be sharing details real soon, but we got to take home an awesome goody bag filled with tons of Splenda treats, a cookbook on how to whip up some delicious smoothies and a box of splenda with fiber. I’ve been using the packets the last few days and so far, so good…it works!
4. The Fabulous 15 – Role Mommy has just been selected to be a part of Frito Lay’s Fabulous 15 to share the inside scoop on their latest line of healthy snacks for women. They’ve even created an innovative and entertaining website with animated shorts of women who seem oddly familiar. Not because they look like me but because they say exactly what I’m thinking. We’ll be sharing details on all the great snacks they’re offering but for now, visit A Woman’s World and get ready to crack up.
5. What’s Age Got to Do with It?: Living Your Healthiest and Happiest Life – This latest book by bestselling author Robin McGraw is an incredibly helpful resource offering advice from doctors, fitness experts and more on how you can be fit and healthy at any age. We’ll be speaking with Robin this week so if you have any questions for her, just say the word and then tune into our show at Blog Talk Radio.
Role Mommy is proud to announce our first evening networking event for Spring 2009.
We’re also excited to be partnering with Tamsen Fadal, WPIX-TV Lifestyle reporter and New York City chapter president for Divas Who Dine, an organization comprised of female entrepreneurs, authors, magazine editors and television personalities.
Space is limited at this event, so if you’d like to attend, please RSVP as soon as possible. If for some reason you buy a ticket but cannot attend, please inform us so that we can open up that space.
If you are planning to buy a ticket for a guest, please forward their information to us at email@example.com before purchasing the ticket.
Location: Alexander Gray Associates Contemporary Art Gallery
Where: 526 West 26th Street
Date: April 22, 2009
Time: 5:30 – 8pm
Our latest Role Mommy & Friends Blog Talk Radio show featured an interview with best selling author and pediatrician Dr. Jim Sears, who is currently co-host of the hit daytime talk show “The Doctors.” Dr. Sears was on hand to answer questions from some of our favorite mom bloggers and has some great advice on losing weight and keeping our kids healthy! And then, after the interview our fabulous co-host, Kristin with The Spirited Woman shared the latest news about her daughter’s Oprah audition and their recent cameo on “Extra.” Tune in and get ready to be informed and entertained!