We just got the opportunity to meet an amazing mom from Australia named Sharon Lowe. Sharon is the creator of Habitat Heroes, a new website where kids can have fun and interact with friends around the world, while learning about ways to protect the planet and its animals. Find out how she turned her vision into a reality and get inspired to pursue your dream too! And if you don’t have time to read, then listen in to our interview with Sharon on Blog Talk Radio!
Role Mommy: What did you do before you became a mom?
Sharon: In my previous life, I was a management consultant specializing in change integration, business process re-engineering and training.
Role Mommy: When did you decide to reinvent your life?
Sharon: About 20 months ago, I conceived of Habitat Heroes the same week I conceived my third child which totally reinvented my life. It was interesting to think of the business idea in parallel to gestation. You experience a similar kind of early euphoria with a business idea, and many of the increasing pains as the idea becomes more and more real. Then, at last, when the idea turns into a living, breathing entity you are struck with the wonderful thing you’ve created.
Role Mommy: How have your children influenced your career path? How many do you have?
Sharon: I have three children. My children have totally directed my current career path. I came up with the concept for Habitat Heroes while watching my eldest daughter playing on the Internet. Seeing how enthused she was about the platform made me question why there are no great educational websites using this medium to educate children, especially about the “organism” most important to all of us – our planet..
Role Mommy: What’s your favorite “Time Out” tip for moms (taking time for yourself)
Sharon: Hmmm….time out? I am working on that one! Actually, exercise is my release and it has the dual effect of clearing my head and body. Often I come up with my best ideas when I am jogging.
Role Mommy: What does your website offer moms or kids?
Sharon: Habitat Heroes (www.HabitatHeroes.com) is an exciting new virtual world where kids can have fun and interact with friends around the world, while learning about ways to protect the planet and its animals. Education-based games and activities, treasure hunts and puzzles entertain and teach children about animal extinction, water and land rejuvenation, recycling, global warming and others challenges facing Planet Earth. Habitat Heroes unites children into a global force of Super Heroes, teaching them that everyone can make a difference.
Habitat Heroes offers moms a safe arena for their children to play on. There are safety mechanisms in place and we also are developing an area of the site which does not involve social networking but still offers all the educational games, activities and quiz questions. There are educational activity sheets which can be printed for parents and teachers.
Role Mommy: What do you hope for your own kids?
Sharon: Bottom line – happiness. My husband and I are also trying to instill confidence so that our children will go after their goals and achieve success in whatever paths they choose. We want them to be kind and considerate people who are aware of their place in the world, and who respect and protect the planet.
Role Mommy: Who is your Role Mommy?
Sharon: My Role Mommy is my own mother who has given me the confidence and grounding to go after my dreams. She has always supported and encouraged me in all of my decisions and gave me the freedom to succeed on my own terms. She is an inspirational person as a mother as well as a professional. My mother is a lawyer who left their practice to take care of my father before he died. She returned to work, built her practice again and sold it just last year. Now she is the president of Jewish National Fund Victoria.
Since anyone who reads this website is probably stretched to the max…racing from meetings to feedings, softball and soccer games, conference calls and colic, we’ve lined up a fave five devoted to items that’ll make your life a little bit easier.
1. How Do I Do It Planner – Does it bug you every time someone who doesn’t have kids looks at you and says, “I just don’t know how you do it?” Well, we’ve just found the answer thanks to WhoMi . This New York City based company has come up with The How Do I Do It planner. And for $12 that’s a bargain in these tough economic times. And while some of you might rely on your BlackBerry or iPhone to keep your schedule straight, I say that nothing beats writing things down in a planner. So visit WhoMi and show everyone how you really do it.
2. Hands Free Role Mommy – A few months back, I had the opportunity to try out the Jawbone – a wireless headset that is one of the easiest hands free devices I’ve ever given a whirl – and trust me – I’ve been through them all. And while I was lucky enough to test one out for free…I managed to lose it about two months after receiving it and had to go out and buy a new one. Well, I just found out that Jawbone has come up with even more options for multitasking moms in a variety of cool colors. I guess I should’ve waited to buy the brand new Jawbone PRIME and its EARCANDY colors that are available today for pre-order at www.jawbone.com and will be sold in retail stores nationally starting May 2, 2009. Trust me, it’s a must-have item for any multitasking mama.
3. A Fresh Way to Shed Weight – A little birdie just told me that the meal plan that helped Ricki Lake shed tons of weight is now available nationwide! It’s called Freshology and the cool thing about it is if you order it, you will receive healthy foods that are good for you (rather than packed with sodium) and they even send you the required water you’re supposed to drink every day to keep you hydrated. We’re also getting a special discount for moms in time for Mother’s Day and will post that code soon…we promise! In the meantime, check out this new weight loss option and get ready to be a big loser (in a good way of course).
4. Easy birthday gifts that give back! – If you’re like me, you probably pick up birthday presents for the parties your kids have to attend the day of the event. At this point, I’m actually at T-minus 8 hours before my son’s upmpteenth bowling party of the season. We just heard from two fabulous women in NYC who are the founders of GiftHero.com which offers a great selection of children’s birthday gifts for ages 3-7 along with a quick search tool they call the Gift Finder to help you identify your gift with 3 questions – what is the gender of the child? What is her age? What is your price range? Plus, they designed an eco-friendly gift bag to eliminate the need to wrap your gift and find a suitable shopping bag to bring your gift to the party. And, best of all, they even offer the ability to donate to a children’s charity – and are working with the Urban Horizon Head Start Program in the South Bronx to help fun enrichment programs such as school trips. I better get in gear and start ordering presents from Gift Hero for the next three bowling parties on the docket. I swear, I think my son is going to be a pro-bowler by the time this year is over!
5. A Little Link Love – Last but not least, here’s a little blog love to the Silicon Valley Moms Examiner who pick their top 10 “make your life easier” items for moms.