Just came back from seeing 17 Again with my kids – okay – I know it’s PG-13 and I did find myself in a pickle when my 10 year old asked me what they were handing out in the sex education class, but other than that scene, the movie was a lot of fun. Definitely not as good as “Back to the Future” or “Big” or “It’s A Wonderful Life,” but I’ll take Matthew Perry and Zac Ephron in a movie together any day. And check out the clip above featuring actress Leslie Mann who shares how her 10 year old daughter reacted to her on screen kiss with her idol, Zac Ephron.
Watching the film did take me back to high school and all those shoulda, woulda, coulda moments. If I had been accepted to the High School of Performing Arts or the Tisch School would my path have been different? Would I have pursued my dream of performing on Broadway or did the fact that I had a serious boyfriend in high school curtail all those dreams I had so long ago?
Yesterday, when I caught the YouTube video of Britain’s Got Talent contestant Susan Boyle I began to realize that there are so many of us in this world who are not doing what we were supposed to do with our careers. I have a friend who is an accountant with one of the most gorgeous voices I have ever heard. Last night, another friend told me a story of a girl who is an incredible artist but works as a volunteer at MOMA instead of showcasing her work at a gallery. She recently went to get her artwork framed and the store owner hung one of her pieces on the wall and someone actually offered him $3000 for the piece. And the woman never owned up to the fact that she actually was the artist!
What are we all afraid of anyway? Plenty of people have made fools of themselves on television and have even become famous doing it (anyone still remember William Hung?) But sometimes, there are those Cinderella stories or “Pretty Woman” moments when a frumpy woman from Glasgow completely blows everyone away and makes us believe again that it truly is possible to make our dreams come true. It’s time we all start celebrating those diamonds in the rough who have flown under the radar. It’s never too late to do what you love. So what are you waiting for?
Is this the time to chase a career dream?
Last night we went out to dinner at Zoe Restaurant in SoHo with our close friends and after catching up over mojitos and crispy calamari, I was salivating over one of our side dishes and decided that this morning, I’d search the web for the best recipe for polenta fries.
This one wins my vote for best side of the week. They taste like fries – crispy on the outside, soft on the inside and beyond delicious. And if you bake them, they’re pretty healthy too! Don’t believe me? Then try out this Polenta Fries recipe and let us know how it turned out!
Since the weather has been absolutely gorgeous this weekend, the only thing I’ve realized is that despite the fact that I’ve been hitting the gym I need to kick up my fitness routine several notches if I’m going to be ready to wear shorts this summer. You see, every year when I hit shorts and swimsuit season I start getting a nervous tic because the thought of me showing off my legs is enough for me to wish for an entire year of winter.
Before I swear off shorts completely, the folks at Weight Watchers have just the answer for me to get motivated to shed that knee fat. Start walking! And I’ve agreed to participate in their Momentum Walk-It Challenge and will be sharing my progress on the weight loss and fitness front. So check back soon and I’ll let you know if I can see a noticeable difference in my lower half.
We’ve been combing the Internet searching for fabulous finds this coming Earth Day so as everyone continues to go green, we’ve got a list of great deals, movies, websites for kids, green mom blogs and more!
1. If you’re in the mood to see a great movie about our planet, then Disney and Discovery have just the answer with the new film Earth. Check out the trailer to see for yourself and if you purchase a ticket for Disney’s Earth they will plant a tree in your honor! To find out more, visit the Disney Earth website for games, beautiful wallpaper downloads, videos, gallery and more.
2. While paying an early morning visit to Twitter, we discovered a great deal from Toys R Us – if you order select eco-friendly toys this week, they’ll provide free shipping!
3. Want to teach your kids more about the environment and endangered animals? Then hop on over to Habitat Heroes where you’ll find games and experts who share everything there is to know about protecting the amazing animals on our planet.
4. Check out these fashion finds from Lola & James, an innovative, eco-conscious children’s clothing line created by Paula Scolaro-Sikking, a Montreal-born graduate of New York’s Fashion Institute of Technology. The line features bold and creative looks such as vintage concert t-shirts, colorful designs made from recycled fabrics and materials, and customized recycled cashmere blankets. The line caters to both boys and girls, sizes 0/6 months to 10 years old. Lola carries the same one-of-a-kind, independent streak as the clothes she inspires. Celebrity clients include the offspring of Kelly Ripa, Angelina Jolie, Courtney Cox, Eddie Vedder and Gwen Stefani. In honor of Earth Day on April 22, Tough Cookies Children’s Boutique will donate 10% of all Lola & James purchases to Tree People, whose staff and volunteers work to plant trees and restore the pollution-damaged mountains of Southern California.
5. Here’s a shout out to some fabulous green blogs and websites Green Options, Green Baby, Eco Child’s Play, Mom Go Green and Green Your Decor.
We’ll be sharing more great Green Blogs this week and if you’re a green blogger, then comment now and share your link too!