Tricks for Staying on Track While Eating Out
Many of my clients find it much easier to stay on track with eating healthy meals when they cook for themselves and eat at home. But eating out is such a huge part of many of our lives, and doesn't need to mean completely letting loose.
I have tons of tricks that I share with them when we are working on building up that mojo, and here are a few to get you started! If you want the full scoop, come check out my Mega Mojo Membership program!
• For a lighter meal one option can be to order an appetizer (as long as it's a healthy one) with a salad or two healthy appetizers instead of a high fat/calorie entrée.
• Start with a clear based soup or salad instead of a cream based soup or the bread basket.
• Ask that the bread basket not even be put down on the table. If that's not an option, make a rule about how much you'll have before you go and stick to it!
• At a buffet or salad bar, load up on the vegetables and watch out for high fat toppings and mixtures.
• Split an entree with your dinner partner or ask for half of it to be packed up before the waiter even brings it to the table.
• Use the opportunity to enjoy what the restaurant is known for; enjoying a small portion of those foods which are unique, interesting and symbolic of that restaurant while avoiding ordinary foods that you
can have anywhere.
• Substitute fruit, salad or steamed vegetables in place of high fat side dishes.
• Use condiments like ketchup, mustard, vinegar, lemon and salsa to add flavor instead of butter, sour cream, cheese or creamy sauces.
• Ask for foods "dry" or with sauces on the side.
• Use the "fork trick" for your salad. Instead of piercing the salad then dipping it into dressing, do the reverse! Dip the fork in the dressing first...then pierce the salad. You'll still get the flavor you love
without using nearly as much as if you did it the other way.
And here's your "Mojo Minute" for the week, a video demonstration of the "fork trick" - happy dining!
Debi Silber, MS, RD, WHC The Mojo Coach® is a Registered Dietitian with a Master's degree in Nutrition Science. She's a Certified Personal Trainer, Whole Health Coach, Lifestyle Expert - just for moms, speaker and the author of The Lifestyle Fitness Program: A Six Part Plan So Every Mom Can Look, Feel and Live Her Best (recommended by Parenting Magazine). Debi's been branded The Mojo Coach® because for nearly 20 years she's motivated overweight, overwhelmed and unfit moms to "get their mojo back" through gradual, lifestyle change. You can work with Debi just like her private clients do, but at a fraction of the cost. For details come to www.TheMojoCoachOnline.com. Enter "Role Mommy" in the comments at checkout and the second month is FREE!