Support Women's Rights on Election Day
I'm not one to get too political on the Role Mommy blog, but as a female entrepreneur, I wanted to share information about new political party dedicated to supporting women's rights. For the first time ever, the Women's Equality Party will be voted on in New York and if it passes, it will be the first political party that can fight to ensure women are paid their fair dues, Roe is protected, pregnant women cannot be discriminated against at work, etc.
Governor Mario Cuomo supports the WEP and has even spoken about it with his daughters. Additionally, former speaker of the New York City Council Christine Quinn shared this recent message to encourage voters to support this new political party:
New Yorkers have the chance to create the first party dedicated first and foremost to women's equality. If you, me and 50,000 other New Yorkers cast their vote on the WEP line on Election Day, we will have formed the first ever Women's Equality Party in the nation, and taken a real, tangible step towards the future.
With your help, we and our fellow New Yorkers will speak with one voice, and establish the Women's Equality Party as a powerful force in our state.
It's an answer to the assaults on the basic rights of women. It's a way to ensure that we elect only candidates who support the issues that matter most to us. It's a real chance to make history, and codify in votes and laws that women deserve to be treated equally.
What does the Women's Equality Party stand for?
Candidates who run as part of the Women's Equality Party are committed to passing the full Women's Equality 10 point plan:
1. Establish Pay Equity for Women
2. Stop Sexual Harassment in Every Workplace
3. Stop Businesses from Discriminating against Pregnant Women
4. Strengthen Human Trafficking Laws
5. End Hiring and Salary Discrimination Against Parents
6. Stop Landlord Discrimination Against Women Who Depend on Housing Assistance
7. Stop Housing Discrimination for Victims of Domestic Violence
8. Allow for the Recovery of Attorneys' Fees in Employment and Credit and Lending Cases
9. Protect Victims of Domestic Violence by Strengthening Order-of-Protection Laws
10. Apply the full standards of Roe v. Wade in New York
In addition, these candidates also pledge to support passing new legislation that will subject colleges and universities in New York to new oversight and reform how they handle sexual assaults, including incidents involving rape, that are reported on their campuses.
To find out more about the WEP, follow these links and make sure you cast your vote to establish this new political party established with the sole purpose to protect the rights of women.
Posted in: Blog on 11/03/2014