Five Things I Learned While Getting Gorgeous
Recently, I got the chance to attend a pampering event hosted by two of my favorite blogging fashion savvy moms, Audrey McClelland and Vera Sweeney. The two have recently launched a new event company called "Getting Gorgeous" and together, they managed to kick off an event that was the talk of last week's BlogHer convention (a gathering of thousands of female writers that took place this past week in New York City).
In two massive rooms at the Warwick hotel, Audrey and Vera created an experience for bloggers where we had our faces transformed by ELF cosmetics, our hair styled by Remington (we got to go home with a professional flat iron and curling iron), I learned a new fashion word (more on that soon) and I gained two inches in height.
So where do I begin? Simple. How about the five things I learned at Getting Gorgeous:
1. I Look Good in Jeggings. Or at least fashion stylist extraordinaire Robert Verdi says I do. While cruising through the fashion room, I met the founder of Miracle Body jeans - a new product that'll take 10 pounds off your frame the moment you put them on. Don't go on the scale girls because your weight will stay the same, but Miracle Body sucks you in in all the right places and has styles to fit every shape. Robert Verdi was on hand to style all the moms who visited the Miracle Body table and when he took one look at me in my flowy lavendar skirt, he instantly told me I was a candidate for jeggings. What are jeggings, you ask? Simple - jeans that are leggings. While I haven't worn leggings since the late 80's, I threw caution to the wind and slipped on a pair. According to Robert and a few other women who were checking out my butt (because I asked them to), I supposedly looked damn good in my jeggings. I can't wait to pair them with a long sweater. If only I could find those Bennetton jerseys I was obsessed with back in high school. Oh well, a girl's gotta dream.
Want more jean's tips from Robert Verdi? Then check him out here...
2. I don't have to go to the gym to get a tight butt. I just need to buy Skechers Shape-Ups. After squeezing out of my jeggings, I zipped over to Skechers where I met fitness guru Andrea Metcalf. Andrea, who writes for Oprah.com and has a new book and three DVD's coming out this fall, was on hand to tell us all about the benefits of Skechers Shape Ups. When I got the chance to try on a pair (I felt like Cinderella in sneakers), I actually grew two inches! The soles of the shoes are elevated and curved in a way that helps you tone your legs, thighs and buns when you're out and about. Which means I can get in shape racing to my commuter train instead of running on a treadmill. Brilliant!
3. Remington curling irons can give your hair that red carpet twirly look. I'm still trying to figure out how it works without burning myself, but luckily, my curling iron came with a heat resistent glove that I can slip on when I'm attempting to wrap my hair around the iron and create bouncy curls. The Remington flat and curling irons totally work - you just have to practice a bit to make it do the things those professional hair stylists can do with it.
4. I don't have to spend a boatload of money on make-up to look great. I've actually been using ELF cosmetics for a while and happen to really like their make-up brushes, foundation, lip gloss and liners. If you're like me, you probably have a favorite brand of lipstick or eyeshadow but I love that with ELF you don't have to blow your entire paycheck on make-up. A little cash goes along way with the products and best of all, you'll look great in the process.
5. When in doubt, accessorize. Back over to the fashion room, I fell in love with Lia Sophia - a mom-owned jewelry design business offering beautiful necklaces, earrings and bracelets - and I got to take home a really pretty necklace that I plan to throw over a long flowy top that I'll wear with my jeggings.
For more information about all the amazing products that were featured at Getting Gorgeous (one more big shout out to the super cool powermat I received that charges everything from iPhones to my son's Dsi XL). Plus if you visit Vera and Audrey's site, you can sign up to potentially attend future events and receive tons of awesome goodies.