Five Northeast Road Trip Destinations
Planning to hit the road this summer with your family and don't know where to go? Here at Role Mommy, we've got you covered. Check out our fave five summer road trip destinations and get ready to make some memories!
1. Block Island, RI - We have been going back to this cozy, family friendly island with our friends for the last five years and I have to say, that every year we find something new - whether it be a Blueberry Mojito at the Spring House, fabulous jewelry, cakes and picture frames at the farmers market or just great conversation at an outdoor restaurant with a view of the ocean. Our friends, who are Block Island veterans, know every nook and cranny of the island and have introduced us to all their favorites including the Spring House, Mansion Beach, hiking trails, bonfires and much more. For an ultimate family vacation, go away with a few friends and make it one that you will never forget.
2. Nantucket, MA - There is nothing that quite compares to Nantucket. From the decadent restaurants (Le Chanticleer), the great brunch spots (Black Eyed Susie's), bike trails, beaches, sailing cruises and shops, this is by far one of my favorite New England destinations. If you can't swing a summer trip, then check out the island in the fall where you can still enjoy biking, eating, shopping, sailing and more. Best hotel on the island for families: The White Elephant --- one of the most beautiful resorts on the island. If you have time for a weekend getaway without the kids, I highly recommend visiting Nantucket on your own too - my husband and I spent our first anniversary there and still remember it as if it were yesterday.
3. Bethany Beach or Rehobeth, DE - Rent a house with friends or family, hit the beach, play tennis, relax at the pool, bike ride and more. At night, the restaurants are plentiful as are the crabs and there's a boardwalk filled with shops and activities for families. If you live in the tri-state area, the ride to Bethany Beach is just long enough before the kids start asking "Are we there yet?"
4. Smuggler's Notch Vermont - The drive might be far, but once you arrive, the experience is well worth the trip. With several pools and slides for the kids, hiking and biking trails, lakes, pedal boats, canoes, water skiing (which I managed to do after not having tried it in more than 20 years!), Smuggler's Notch has it all. And if you venture out of the family friendly resort, check out the Ben & Jerry's factory nearby, Cabot Cheese, great shopping in Burlington and the Trapp Family Resort, Vermont has everything in a family vacation and more.
5. Explore Pennsylania - this pick takes me back to my childhood since I spent my summers at my parent's home in Dingman's Ferry, PA. If you're looking to experience the simple life at its finest, then Pennsylvania is the way to go. From canoeing and white water rafting, to the Amish Country, Gettysburg, Milford, PA and more, Pennsylania is the place where history, adventure and memory making begins. To find out more go to VisitPA.com