2009 Summer Beach Reads
Summer is finally here and that only means one thing. Time to devour at least 10 books this summer and so far, I've managed to finish one, am in the middle of a second and have plenty more I want to crack open before Labor Day. I've polled my favorite moms on their summer beach reads and thanks to Victoria at Mummy Chronicles, my mom and my girlfriends on the 8:48 (my commuter train), here's the Role Mommy Summer 2009 Book List:
1. Sarah's Key - This one has been passing through the hands of so many of my friends that I knew I had to read it. And now that my mom just finished it in two days, I managed to get my hands on a copy without having to pay for it. Score! It's a sad story about a French girl living during the Holocaust - heavy story, tear jerker, but all in all - according to everyone who has picked it...it's a fast read.
2. Rattled - If you're looking for a fun beach read, then pick up Christine Coppa's memoir about how her life as a magazine editor on the rise was turned upside down when she became pregnant. Christine writes the Storked blog at Glamour if you want to check out her writing before you dive in to this new book. It's a fun and humorous read and it's even bittersweet.
3. Prairie Tale - Okay - so here's another embarrassing confession - I was a total "Little House on the Prairie" fanatic so when Melissa Gilbert announced that she had some serious addictions while she was doing the show and she even comes clean about her relationships (remember she dated Rob Lowe for like a bazillion years), I have to say, I'm definitely interested in reading this one cover to cover.
4. Dune Road - It's summer time and that can only mean one thing...Jane Green has another book out and I can't wait to read it. And what better way to read a great book for the beach then racing through a novel that takes place in the Hamptons. Sheer perfection!
5. Best Friends Forever - I am so excited that Jennifer Weiner has a new book out this summer too! Between Jane Green, Jennifer Weiner and Sophie Kinsella, you'll be completely set for those lazy summer beach days!
6. Those Who Save Us - This bonus pick comes from my mom who's a voracious reader and she says this novel by Jenna Blum is a must read about a woman who refuses to discuss her past life until her daughter, uncovers the truth.
For more great reads from one of our favorite bloggers, Victoria at The Mummy Chronicles shares her must reads of the season:
If you'd like to see more of our favorite reads of the year, then just visit the Role Mommy book store!