Closets, Clothing & Kids...Summer Organizing
The GO Mom offers the Latest tips on how to keep your life in order!
Yes, its summer, but organizing during the summer months will help ensure you have a great start for school. You don't want to be in chaos right when school starts. So, by doing a little each week, you should be in good shape by summer's end. One of the first areas to start with is the closet.
1. First, make sure that if your child is old enough, he or she is doing this with you. You don't want to do it for your child; you want to do it with your child. Remember, you are training up, in most cases, future husbands and wives.
2. Next, start with purging any clothing that is too small or that your child refuses to wear.
3. Decide what would be the quickest way for your child to get dressed. It may be by matching colors and styles together (long sleeves, short sleeves, etc.) or matching outfits together for a quick dress job.
4. Consider the height of your child's clothing rod. Can he or she reach it? If not, consider an adjustable garment rack extension that will give your child easy access to his or her clothing and by default will create more space in the closet. A less expensive alternative is to have low hooks on the inside or outside of the closet door(s) where you can hang each outfit for the next day.
5. Another idea for keeping outfits organized by day or style is to use garment dividers, the ones you see that separates sizes at department stores. You can customize your label by day, size, etc.
6. Do you often find your child's barely worn clothing lying in the floor of their bedroom? Of course, your child is not going to re-hang them... they're kids. The best alternative is to install a set of hooks at your child's level where he or she can quickly and easily hang barely worn clothing. This will make it much easier for your child and nice for you.
Just remember, organizational skills are important for kids to learn, whether that's learning to be organized with toys or clothing. It's a learned skill and they learn best by example.
Lorraine Brock is a professional organizer, family coach, speaker, and founder and owner of "Get Organized!" "Get Organized!" is a professional organizing company in the Dallas, Texas area. "Get Organized!" specializes in organizing and de-cluttering homes as well as implementing systems in the home for better family management.
A popular media guest, Lorraine has appeared on Dallas' two top morning television shows: Good Morning Texas and Good Day Fox, and has been featured on various radio outlets. She has been hallmarked in many local, regional, and national print and online magazines, such as the Dallas Morning News, The North Texas Kids Magazine, SheKnows.com, and Daily Candy Kids. To get more helpful advice from Lorraine, visit her blog Get Organized!