The Role Mommy Best of 2010
It's been quite the year in books, entertainment and gadgets and so rather than compile a separate list for each, we've decided to come up with a top 10 of our favorite things for 2010. Take a look...
1. The iPad - Full disclosure on this one. I do not own an Apple iPad . However, it is the one product that I really, really, really want to buy. I do, however, own a Kindle and I read about 5 books on it until I forgot to keep charging it. Biggest mistake of 2010, not biting the bullet and buying an iPad. I am currently hoarding gift cards so that the sting won't be as big when I finally do give in and place an order. I'm also hearing that a new iPad will be released in February or March so I may hold out another few months...maybe.
2. The Help - typically, over the course of a year I hear from several friends about the books I need to read and overwhelmingly, the consensus this year was "You must read The Help." And so, I bought the book (before I got my Kindle) and took it on an eight hour plane ride and managed to finish it before the flight was over. And now, they're making it into a movie that debuts in 2011. I'm so cutting edge.
3. Despicable Me - By far, Despicable Me (Minion Madness DVD Double Pack + Digital Copy)
was my kids' favorite animated film of the year. Put Steve Carrell in any movie and you pretty much get our thumbs up, but this adorable film about a bad guy who has his heart melted by a pair of orphans had us laughing in the aisles. We also bought the DVD - a true measure of how much you love a film when you choose to have it in your DVD library.
4. Dancing with the Stars - Call me a cheese ball, but I have to say, since "Dirty Dancing" was one of my favorite movies of all time, I was thrilled to see Jennifer Grey win the silver disco ball. And to know that she had several back surgeries and is 50 years old and looks beyond amazing is reason enough for me to hit the nearest Weight Watchers center and start taking some salsa lessons stat.
5. XBox 360 Kinect - A game that recognizes you when you stand in front of it, takes pictures, and has you feeling like you are white water rafting, boxing, playing ping pong and more, without having to get confused by a remote control is sheer brilliance. If you haven't ordered the Xbox 360 4GB Console with Kinect yet, then what are you waiting for?
6. Grandpa Fix-It and Movies under the Stars - Our first experience in 2010 with a movie under the stars took place on a Princess cruise ship for my dad's 70th birthday (incidentally, we gave dad the ultimate birthday present when we published a children's story he had written called "Grandpa Fixit.") We wrapped ourselves in blankets, sat on lounge chairs and nibbled on popcorn as we watched one of my son's favorite films "This Is It." (He's a huge Michael Jackson fan). Movies under the stars part II took place in our backyard when we decided to throw an outdoor movie party for my son's 8th birthday and we watched "The Tooth Fairy" with about 30 kids. So much fun!!!!
7. Blueberries, blueberries, blueberries - The summer of 2010 was the summer of blueberries for me. The reason? While on vacation in Rhode Island, I discovered a fabulous new drink - a blueberry martini. Then, when we headed to Maine (which happens to be known for its blueberries and lobster of course), I sampled a blueberry mojito...delicious. And I hear since blueberries are good for you, it's officially become my go-to ingredient for alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages.
8. Visiting Riviera Nayarit, Mexico - Earlier in the year, I got the chance to travel to Puerto Vallarta, Mexico and then spent the night in a two bedroom luxury suite at Villa La Estancia overlooking the pool and ocean. Did I mention our suite also had a state of the art kitchen, marble bathrooms and some of the best food I've eaten in years? I keep telling people that Villa La Estancia is like visiting a Four Seasons on steroids. And now, I keep reading that Riviera Nayarit is totally the place to be for vacationers. I love being in the know :)
9. Meeting and Interviewing Sharon Osbourne, Emma Thompson, Sigourney Weaver and more - I have to say, my favorite part of the year has been getting the opportunity to meet inspiring women who have achieved amazing things in their lives. And considering I'm an entertainment junkie, any time I've been invited to attend a junket, participate in an interview or roundtable luncheon with a major star has been the highlight of my year. Now that we've launched Project You Magazine, I'm determined to perfect my interview skills, pull a Barbara Walters and make someone cry.
10. Taking my mom and daughter to see Wicked on Mother's Day - There's nothing that quite compares to doing something incredibly special with your mom and this year, I decided to take her and my daughter to one of the best Broadway shows on the planet, "Wicked." To this day, I still can't get "Defying Gravity" and "Popular" out of my head and will probably go see it again in 2011 with my husband and son.
So there you have it...my top 10 of 2010. Comment now with your favorite memories of the year!
Posted in: Blog on 12/27/2010