10 Tips for a Green Halloween
A green Halloween is a healthier holiday for kids and the planet. It can be easy, fun and affordable. Here are 10 ideas from mother daughter experts Lynn and Corey Colwell to make your Halloween greener than ever!
1. Plan ahead to avoid last-minute shopping which often limits choices.
2. When it comes to costumes and décor--reuse, borrow, trade, purchase used or do-it-yourself.
3. Goodie bags can be anything! For extra fun, match the bag to the costume using something you already own. Here are some ideas: purses, flower pots (cover the hole), cloth sacks, backpacks, lunchboxes, hats of all kinds.
4. Choose healthier treats. Look for organic candy and honey sticks, two child-favored choices. (Honey is not for children under two years of age).
5. Choose fun treasures instead of sweets. Think of the treasures your child collects in her pockets--shells, feathers, pretty stones etc.
6. If you're giving a party, avoid disposables including napkins, plates, cups, tablecloths and other décor.
7. Walk from house to house instead of driving.
8. Compost pumpkins and other food, including leftover candy (without wrappers).
9. Collect candy wrappers and help your kids turn them into gift items like purses, bracelets and picture frames. Find directions on the internet.
10 . Check out www.GreenHalloween.org often for fun, new ideas.